Bad checks

Prosecuting Attorney Bad Check Unit

P.O. Box 377
Savannah, MO 64485

Received a bad check?

In order to turn over a bad check for prosecution you must fill out a Bad Check Complaint Form provided by this office. After doing so, you should submit the Complaint Form with the returned check to:

The Prosecutor’s Office will then send a ten-day letter to the check writer. If the check is paid, payment will be forwarded to the business that accepted the check within two weeks. However, if payment is not made within ten days of the letter, the prosecutor will then attempt to prosecute the bad check writer.

At times prosecution of bad checks is not possible. This occurs when the bad check writer is not able to be identified, if the check was post-dated or held, if the check is a third party, or if there is no social security number and/or date of birth for the check writer.

The Andrew County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office will do everything possible to assist with the collection of a bad check. Please feel free to contact the Prosecutor’s Office at 816-324-3535 with any questions you may have.